March 2, 2013

The Bread of Life...

Man cannot live on bread alone....but in my house we like to try.  I love bread; it is a true weakness of mine. Sweet breads, savory breads... You name it, I'll eat it.  I grew up in a house where healthy eating was just a part of life, but my husband grew up in a house where down home country cooking was the norm.  For instance, I like skim milk... he likes whole milk...so now we buy 2%.  When I married him, I could cook the meals I grew up with, but not much else.  Since then, he has helped me re-learn how to cook, and now I am able to unashamedly use butter rather than Pam.  It is all about moderation and balance.  Move a lot, eat a little.  In the hopes of furthering my cooking/baking skills I decided to under take something that my wonderful mother could never quite master...baking yeast breads.  I started out with something small...dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls, and then I decided to take on loaves...and why not start with my favorite bread.. Sourdough Bread!  YUMM.  Twelve days ago I began to sour the starter, and yesterday, I successfully made two beautiful loaves of sourdough bread. 


As I said before, I love bread, and I eat it every day.  There are so many things we need to do daily to keep a balanced life.  I struggle finding the time for everything.  Between my job, and house work; trying to eat right and exercise; reading the Word and investing quality time in relationships - often something doesn't make the cut.  You have to really evaluate your priorities.  Some of those things you simply have to do to exist, like work and cleanliness.  Others you can put off for a time, but in the end they are just as essential to existing as bread, like exercise and eating right.  The last category may be different for every individual, but it is no less important; investing in those relationships, both with individuals and with God provides the fulfillment and satisfaction we all crave in our life. 

So, I ask myself...can we really exist without these things all working together in balance to become the bread of life?  How do we find that balance?

Till Next Time,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment